Tuesday 25 December 2012

"Discharged"

On the 20/12 I was told by my psychiatrist that he was going on holiday on the 28th. Fine. Ok. No problem. What he failed to tell me that was I would have to be discharged on or before the 28th because I was not allowed to stay in the hospital without being under the care of a psychiatrist. He was not willing to ask a favour of a colleague to take me under his care, so my only options was to find another psychiatrist, discharge, public hospital, or stay with my parents. 

I was NOT ready to leave and I was NOT told this on my admission. On the 21/12, I decided that the stress of the miscommunications (between psychs/therapists/nurses) and basic lies (to cover their arses) was not worth the benefits of staying there. I'm at home by myself now and I just feel like they threw me out into the street. Public hospital psychiatry departments is NOT an option either, I've heard horrible stories from people staying in here. Finding another psychiatrist who works over Christmas and doesn't have a waiting list of at least 3 months is impossible. And if they knew my family situation, they would understand why I can't stay with them.

I was distraught on Thursday about the prospect of leaving early but I held it together due to some wonderful other patients. Friday 21/12, after speaking with my psychiatrist again I asked him to talk to my mum on the phone so that she knew my options (as I wasn't thinking straight). He lied to her about me wanting to stay with them. So I called my mum to come in and calm me down, and to talk to the nurses. The most laughable thing looking back is that the nurse was so disrespectful and clearly "didn't have time for this". Also that "there is a communication problem", to which my mother replied yes there is, and she said "no, that I (being me) have not been communicating with the nurses enough".

I refused to be discharged on the 28th on their terms, and I decided it was very important for me to leave on my own terms. I feel shit at the moment, drank alone last night which I knew was going to happen.. I tried for it not to but it didn't help. The fee at the hospital is $720 per day which thankfully my insurance pays most of, plus medication fees. But what's the point of going if they treat you like that? The psychiatric industry in Australia really needs to be examined if the level of care is that bad a one of the "best private hospitals in perth"

I feel abandoned, lied to, worthless... the worst thing is that they couldn't care less if I went home and killed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment